While St. Patrick’s Day is known as more of a religious holiday in Ireland (and to those who relish in Irish heritage), to most of us…it’s the perfect excuse to drink, party, & be merry! And again, what party wouldn’t be complete without music? But as a special treat to all of you, I decided that a standard playlist of songs just wouldn’t do. Because when it comes to drinking on the holiday of all party holidays, we all tend to crave this element of music more than any other: the sing-a-long!
Fortunately for all of you, instead of just the standards, I’ve added in some fun Irish tunes (and some overlooked non-Irish songs) that will be sure to keep your friends/party guests in the mood. So in honor of tradition (and a few fun suggestions from many of my bar-hopping/music-loving buddies), I present to you this month’s Playlist!
Jenn's Sing-a-Long Playlist:
1) Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond: What party playlist would be complete without the man who practically invented the sing-a-long song? Like fashion, keeping the basics in the mix will be sure to keep everyone satisfied.
2) Irish Drinking Song – Buck o Nine: Here is where we interject a little bit of that Irish tradition into our list! You can never go wrong with adding some music that keeps with the holiday theme, especially when it comes to St. Patty’s! This is a particular favorite of mine; you can check out the song (performed live by Buck o Nine) here: Buck o Nine
3) Tubthumping – Chumbawumba: A song about drinking with your friends and having a raucous time doing it? I don’t think I need to say any more than that.
4) Hey Jude – The Beatles: The fun part about The Beatles is that Paul McCartney and George Harrison are both of Irish descent….but of course this song triggers one of the loudest chorus sing-a-longs when you hear it!
5) Ball and Chain – Social Distortion: What I love most about gathering together my playlists is the ability to ask my friends and loved ones to weigh in on some of their favorites…this song a prime example! Remember: don’t be afraid to venture out within different genres for party music.
6) Bennie & the Jets – Elton John: Let’s face it—while most of us don’t always quite understand what Elton is saying in his songs, we still manage to want to sing along anyway! He is definitely the king of crowd pleasers! (Also a fun thing to try when you’re thinking of music that your guests will be belting along with you…while some artists have these classic songs that you just can’t help but sing, you should try to vary it up with one of their other hits. That way, you’re sharing something new with partygoers!)
7) Livin’ On A Prayer – Bon Jovi: As a Jersey Girl, even though I’m not particularly a fan of Bon Jovi (as I cower from the shocked reactions of many NJ/NY Bon Jovi fans), I have to hand it to the band with this song. (And my many friends who reminded me that this song deserves a spot on the playlist!) Just about every time I’ve heard a cover band perform “Livin’ on a Prayer”, the crowd is singing louder than the lead singer! So yes, this must be included.
8) Piano Man – Billy Joel: And for all New Yorkers, Billy Joel also fits into this category! This is one of my favorite sing-a-long songs, especially towards the end of the night when music tends to slow down just a tad.
9) Kiss Me I’m S***faced – Dropkick Murphys: A drunken playlist would not be complete without one completely funny (and somewhat vulgar) song. The Dropkick Murphys are a perfect fit with this number; the band also fits the Irish vibe with an American twist! (The band originates from Quincy, Massachusetts.) You’ll laugh, you’ll be offended, but most of all, you will have fun singing along!
10) Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen: This is a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but who doesn’t know this song? Even if you have never truly experienced listening to Queen, for all of those who know have seen Wayne’s World, you know this song. The harmonies are alluring, Freddie Mercury’s voice haunts you to the core, yet all of us attempt to hit that high B♭ towards the end of the song.
11) Don’t Look Back in Anger – Oasis: Some of the best songs to sing along with aren’t heavy or intense. Like “Piano Man”, this classic from Oasis embodies the qualities of a more ballad-like feel. After all, a ballad can evoke just as much of a crowd reaction as an upbeat number!
12) Closing Time – Semisonic: All fun must come to an end, right? (If we had our way, the fun would never stop!) Semisonic makes for a great ender to a party or bar night with their biggest hit. We all know the words, we’ve seen the video, and a night like St. Patrick’s Day deserves a great ending.
Whatever your pleasure, do have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Be safe, party lots, and wear TONS of green!
But before you go….
As an added treat to the music monthlies, we’re going to introduce a new mini-feature to each column: Cover Band of the Month! March kicks off with this group of seasoned NJ band members…Almost Easy!
With over a decade of experience in the music circuit and a determination to deliver quality covers to the Tri-State area, Peter Levine (Lead Vocals/Guitar), Stu Berenson (Lead Guitar/Vocals/Sampling), Chris Manzo (Bass/Vocals), and Joseph Martin (Drums) formed Almost Easy. Including an unbeatable catalog of old & new hits, flawless ability to get a crowd going, and considered a “powerhouse” in the cover music scene, I highly recommend checking out a show! But don’t just take my word for it…Stylewhipped’s own Editor-in-Chief Alison Stewart can attest to the Almost Easy experience:
"I was so happy to stumble upon Almost Easy's recent gig in Hoboken, NJ. These guys are not only super talented, but they put on a 'show' unmatched by most cover bands! Lead singer Pete Levine sings his way through the crowd, really getting everyone into the music as he goes. I will definitely see them again...this time intentionally!"
To learn more about Almost Easy, check out their show schedule, or even get a taste of what the band is about from their videos, feel free to check out their official website (www.almosteasyband.com). You can also check out their Facebook (www.facebook.com/almosteasybandnj) or their YouTube videos
***And if you’re in Atlantic City on St. Patty’s Day, check out the boys as they perform at the Backstage Bar at Showboat Casino!***