When invited to a wedding, sometimes we all drive ourselves crazy about the gift...give money? how much? Something off the registry? Somehow, when you are very close with a bride and groom, getting a knife block just doesn't say "You really mean a lot to me." And for some couples, writing a check (although very nice!) is not the route you want to go either. So what do you do if you want to get them an actual, tangible, thoughtful gift? I put together my top 10 list for you so you don't have to think at all!
1) If you know where they are honeymooning, it is always a really useful gift to get a gift certificate to the resort or hotel they are staying at...they can use it for whatever they like!
2) If you are like me, and enjoy the pampered moments of life, a gift certificate to a fancy spa is a GREAT gift. But make sure the groom is the type that would enjoy this too! This can also be a wonderful shower gift for a few girls to chip in on as a surprise for the bride before the big day.
3) If the couple you know is adventurous, how about a gift certificate for an adventure on their honeymoon? Lots of the top resorts offer gift certificates for things like scuba diving and helicopter rides.
4) For a close family member, a great gift is to give them one or two nights prepaid at a Bed and Breakfast or cool hotel for the weekend, to be used for their 1st anniversary...after all the wedding festivities are over, it's nice to have something else to look forward to in the future!
Forty1 North is a, a chic, modern, and luxurious hotel in Newport, Rhode Island...Close enough to drive to from the tri state area, but far enough to feel like a vacation...any bride and groom would be thrilled for a first getaway as Mr. and Mrs. here! Check out their website, it is A-mazing!
5) Cooking lessons! Fun to do together and always needed, no matter if you are Martha Stewart, or my sister, Alison Stewart (Love you Alison, but sorry, that was too easy!).
6) For the couple with a new home...arrange for a garden makeover or new plantings with their local landscaper! They will look at their perrenials and think of you!
7) For the couple that loves to drink champagne, get a very nice bottle to be opened on their 1st anniversary, and make a custom label for the bottle just for them! Check out www.personalwine.com, where you can not only purchase wine and champagne, but each bottle can be either etched, engraved, or customized with your own label that you create!
8) As a new homeowner, I would have absolutely appreciated this...a gift card to Home Depot or Lowes! A wedding sometimes forces a couple to put home renovations on the back burner...help them out a little by giving them money towards supplies or appliances!
9) A gift certificate to a fancy restaurant is always appreciated. For a dining experience to remember, get a gift certificate to Blue Hill at Stone Barnes in Pocantico Hills, NY. It is on the top of my restaurant lists!
Blue Hill, www.bluehillfarm.com, 30 miles north of NYC, is a working four season farm that serves ingredients right from the surrounding fields and pastures, as well as from other local farms. There are no menus, just a list of over a hundred ingredients, updated daily. Their tasting menu (or farmers' feast as they call it) is absolutely INSANE and to my surprise and joy, they were able to accommodate all my many food allergies! Set on the most gorgeous grounds, this would be a dinner and an evening to remember for any couple.
10) Last, but not least, arrange a day for them doing whatever it is that they like....wine tasting at a vineyard, tickets to a concert...the list goes on and on depending on what the couple enjoys
Don't forget, if you put a lot of thought into it and it's heartfelt, you can't go wrong!