February is always one of my favorite months, because it has my favorite form of GTL… Grammys, Tunes, and Love! On February 10th, like millions of others, I curled up on my cozy couch and prepared for a night of epic live performances, tear-jerking moments, and some of the best acceptance speeches I have ever heard. For those who know my Twitter handle (@jennyrockstar), I managed to ‘live-tweet’ during the entire show. Of course I couldn’t help adding massive amounts of exclamation points at my favorite wins (Mumford and Sons!!!!!), coupled with witty tweets about the celeb reactions in the audience and various wardrobe “no-nos”. (On a related note, Editor-in-Chief Alison and I were SO close to creating a Taylor Swift drinking game based on how many times the camera panned to her. Sheer hilarity.)
But most importantly, the music! The performances and nominated artists were as diverse as they are talented. From artists just emerging on the scene (how amazing was “Carry On” by Fun…seriously?!?) to returning artists (:::cough, cough::: Justin Timberlake), my boyfriend Matt and I relished in every little part of the show. (And even though it wasn’t shown on the main event, I do know Matt was happy to know even Brian Wilson, one of his all-time faves, won a Grammy too.)
If The Grammys weren’t enough, Valentine’s Day shortly followed, coupled with every attempt made to squeeze love into anything and everything possible. Even greeting cards have now become a means to propose to your significant other. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of sharing love with those who mean the most to you, but aren’t there 364 other days to also worry about? (However, it didn’t stop me from being a cheesy romantic, even on the actual holiday.)
Yes, February was full of momentous moments, from Grammys to Valentine’s (and everything in between), there were several opportunities to find and appreciate music in all its forms. And as a special treat, to bring together all the wonderful parts of February for each and every one of you, here’s a special Jenn’s “Little Bit of February” playlist:
1) Phil Collins – Groovy Kind of Love: What would romance be without a little throwback to this great cover? (It was originally performed by The Mindbenders.) Also, it has partially solidified my love for the show New Girl, especially since this song was used in one of the early episodes of the first season.
2) Alabama Shakes – Hold On: There’s nothing sexier than a band that can give me the gritty rock sound with a female lead! Cue lead singer Brittany Howard on Saturday Night Live singing in a Brian Wilson-esque style, making her Gibson howl in sync with the rest of her bandmates. And for anyone that missed Howard’s performance at the Grammys for the Levon Helm tribute, it was magical!
3) The Lumineers – Ho Hey: This may be my favorite song of 2013 (so far!) It’s perfect in every way that one can imagine. It’s got the best rhythm, the words are endearingly romantic, and by the end of the night, it’s a great drunk song. And if you want to go one better, be sure to listen to their self-titled album! (Each song on there is enchanting and comforting – be prepared with to chill at home with some lit candles and a glass of wine.)
4) fun. – All Alright: The band fun. is everywhere right now…and it’s amazing! And while I do love all their hits at the moment, this particular track off the album Some Nights resonates stronger with me than ever. As lead singer Nate Ruess laments about loss and coping, there’s still that hope that everything will be just that…alright.
5) Alicia Keys – Girl On Fire: I am in love with this song…and even Alicia Keys just a little. (As a fellow pianist, she amazes me with what she brings to music – it’s refreshing!) Also, her Grammys performance with Adam Levine? That was pretty hot.
6) Rihanna – Stay: While I may not agree with her life choices, there’s no doubt that this heart-wrenching track about loving someone against the odds is one that I just can’t stop listening to. The Grammy performance was wonderful, but the music video drives the emotions home even more…check it out here.
7) Miniature Tigers – Easy As All That: Best known for their indie pop sound, Miniature Tigers have become my favorite go-to for car music. And once you hear this catchy little tune, they might become your favorite too! (Trust me, you’ll find yourself singing along after hearing this track at least 2-3 times.)
8) Imagine Dragons – It’s Time: One of my fave finds thanks to Glee (and Darren Criss killed it!) That signature mandolin lick, the rhythmic clapping you find yourself trying to perfect, and a chorus so hauntingly familiar for every 20-something attempting to figure out their life after college…it’s all there.
February brought musical opportunity unlike any other! I hope that all of you take time to embark on your own music journeys and discover your own playlist.